As we all know, the Special General Election is on December 12, 2017. Absentee balloting is now open for that election. If you meet the criteria to cast an absentee ballot, you may either request a ballot by mail OR go to the Madison County Courthouse and cast your ballot at the Courthouse.
Absentee ballots DO count, and are counted on Election Day. Ballots that arrive after Election Day are also counted.
If you do NOT meet the criteria, please vote on Election Day. If you DO meet the criteria, please vote by absentee ballot. Please follow directions carefully so that your ballot is sure to be counted. If you have questions, please contact the Absentee Election Manager at (256)532-3684.
Absentee Voting is NOT “early voting”- we do not have that ability in Alabama. Absentee voting should not be used because it is more convenient. You MUST meet the criteria for use of an absentee ballot:
- Will be absent from the county on Election Day
- Is ill or has a physical infirmity that prevents a trip to the polling place
- Is a registered voter living outside the county, including but not limited to, members of the armed forces or a U.S. citizen residing overseas (or a spouse or dependent of such a person) or students at an educational institution located outside their county of residence
- Is an appointed election officer or poll watcher at a polling location with polling hours
- Is a member of the Armed Forces of the United States, a spouse of, or a dependent of, a member of the Armed Forces of the United States, a citizen living abroad or any other applicant qualified to vote pursuant to the Federal Uniformed and Overseas Citizens Absentee Voting Act, 42 U.S.S. 1973ff (UOCAVA)
Please note that a “physical infirmity that prevents a trip to the polling place” is not about polling place accessibility. All polling places are required to be accessible to persons with disabilities, and all polling places have voting machines that are accessible to persons with visual impairments.
If you, or someone you know needs a ride to the polls on Election Day, please call Madison County Democratic Headquarters at (256)534-1776.